Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Last day in the Salzkammergut

It has been a dry and sunny day today. I took the bus to Mondsee, a neighbouring lake, and was pleased that the tourist office recommended a lovely walk. It was rather "tame" as walks go, but there weren't many buses going back to St Gilgen, and I didn't want to be stuck in Mondsee for the whole day.
First, of course I had to "pay my respects" to the Cathedral. It turned out that I dropped in to a baptism ceremony by the Archbishop of salzburg. He must have had a busy season, because I saw him doing the same thing in Salzburg last Saturday. The church was packed full of people in their traditional costumes.
The route recommended by the tourist office went down one of the main streets in this town with colorful buildings. Then it turned into a street which followed a small river. After coming across a rather surprising printing press in the middle of the forest (!) I started on the the "real" forest track. Too soon, the track emerged at an old mill, where there is now a cafe, and not far away, there was a little picturesque chapel. One can find these chapels, large and small, all over Austria.
Getting back to town, I made a quick walk near the lakeside. On the bus, we had looked out to plenty of lovely views up and down the lake.
There are basically 4 large restaurants cum hotels in town, all serving good Austrian food. I was happy to be able to have very fresh salads and fish, while breakfast at the hotel provides me with my daily (unneccessary!) sausage.

2 comments:

  1. What kinds of fish do the Germans eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for comments, Yi. There seem to be a lot of trout here. Cod is available, sea bass as well. other than that, the names are all in german, so I don't know what they are!! Yes, have been blessed with good weather and great scenary.

    ReplyDelete