Friday, June 4, 2010

warm and breezy in Limone


It's our last day here, and 10 from our group are going on to Selva in the dolomites tomorrow. I am thankful for perfect walking weather here the whole week except on the first day where it rained for a short while. All thewalks were very interesting, and I think I'm getting better on the uphill walks. They always give us a shock the first thing in the morning with a steep slope and then, just when we are full of lunch, there is sometimes another slope. I believe that's why they do not have lunch at a cafe, or else we will never get up again with these heavy meals.
The hotel was well situated, and I will post photos from my room with balcony facing the lake. It was however 1 km from town and so we did not spend much time in the narrow streets of Limone (very touristy as well). Thankfully, the food was not that good, so I was not tempted to over- eat. On the contrary, I got up every morning quite hungry and before dinner I also had a growling stomach. So, food was well digested by a faster metabolism and I had very good sleep too.
The walks were just the kind I like. We visited old and tiny villages in the mountains, saw beautiful views from top of Monte Baldo (went up 1760 ft by cable car, something like genting's height), walked in cool forests, and unfortunately also on hot roads! we also took a couple of nice boat rides on the lake boats to visit the towns of Malcesine, Riva and Torbole.
After a few days, our group of 18 got along very well, and spent longer and longer time at the dining table chatting with each other. Apart from 4 couples from England, there was a couple from Isle of Man (independent from UK), an 80+ yr old WW II veteran from Tucson, 2 walkers who've been all over the world (1 from Brazil and 1 from Vancouver), and 2 ladies from Wales (musn't lump them with the English!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I first heard about dolomites in secondary school...sounds like an interesting day!

    ReplyDelete